Why I used WordPress to make my new website

I know nobody asked this, but it was very weird to make a website using wordpress.com (monilsoni.com) when a lot of developers are using cool JavaScript to make their website. So to be honest I tried hard last year to get momentum on starting a website - I even started writing business requirements for my website and following all the due processes but I just couldn't get started. I finally made a simple website using Bootstrap which went okay for a while. I wasn't happy with the content, but it was something and something is always better than nothing.

But I always felt that I needed to make a better website and changing some little thing required me to open a text editor, edit an HTML line and then push the code. Ideally, there would be a separation between text content and the platform that is serving the content but we do not live in this ideal world. So I figured that I needed a better and easier way to manage a website and content.

I talked to my friend Mit who is an expert when it comes to anything related to Web Development about the tech I should use based on my previous experiences with creating a website. We discovered a bunch of different alternatives such as Fluttr, but it wasn't just cutting it. I was hesitant about using WordPress because I always thought it was this weird complex machine that was mainly for people who wanted to run a business or a fully functional blog. I just wanted to have one mostly static website. But I think Mit convinced me to try it out, and I did. I put my biases aside, and I decided I'm not going to complain about how overloaded the interface is for about 1 day and see what I can make out of it.

I wrote some content, and then it lay there for a while, waiting for my next burst of motivation. And that motivation came, and I felt like now was the time to update my online presence everywhere. I am anyway trying to be a little more active on LinkedIn and, so, I had decided to fill in multiple things, get a decent picture clicked. On the same day, I set some more hours outside and edited the content, set up a theme, links to my socials, etc. Obviously, I forced Ashit and Manali to look at it and give me feedback before I made it public and then made it public anyway.

So yeah, the reason I chose WordPress - using it is simple. It just works. I was more interested in how the end product looked and what content I put out than what tech stack I used to get it done. While I admit the WordPress interface can be better, I think it is for the best. I'm going to add more content on the website (yeah, right), and that's it for this post. Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Fitness, To My Past Self

Linux Mint Setup Guide